December 1, 2019

I Have A Fantasy

"Do you have any dreams?" they ask.


"I suppose I do," I say, "But they are so very specific that I doubt they could ever be reality."


"What do you see when you close your eyes?"


Many things, dear readers. Many things. Here is one that has been persistent as of late.


Fred Rogers. Bob Ross. Jim Henson. Bill Watterson. Hayao Miyazaki. Brian Jacques.




All of them soft-spoken old men who saw the world through eyes untainted by malice or crushing realism. These were innovators of television, movies, art, animation, cartoons, and literature who all sought to change the world through the minds of humans. In my dreams, I am with these gentle-toned gentleman at a diner; Somewhere outside of time that is filled with only a few other patrons. Early-morning sunshine streams through the aged windows as the songs of sparrows can be heard in the distance. If one could strain their ear, they may even hear the far off sounds of a train.


We are gathered at a round, oaken table on this dull, autumn day. We dine on classic American fare, (steak n' eggs for me, of course). The old timers speak quietly about days of yore and their gentle gazes speak volumes on how they consider the world's potential. They share their visions in hushed tones as if the worlds they are creating around us must remain a secret. Being the young man of the group, I simply sit and listen, basking in the wisdom and imagination that exudes from these giants. (And since it's my fantasy and I can do what I please, Adam Young is with me and we are fanboying together as we snatch at the imagination that surrounds us, clinging to each enchanted tale. I feel like Adam and I would be good friends.)


See the source image
(Secretly I always picture it here, a place I visited annually as a child.)


I do have a fantasy: To be among minds that see the world not for what it is, but what it could be.


Long live the King

No comments:

Post a Comment

Correspond with your prince